Friday, November 27, 2009

Day 5

So, apparently, I am a fan of creamy beans.

And mashed potatoes.

And a variety of pies decorated with whipped topping.


But yesterday was Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving, as it is well recognized, is a day of amnesty for all things diet related.


Pies notwithstanding, I did wind up eating mostly healthy foods.


As a non-turkey eater, I am quite used to bringing my own snacks to Thanksgiving dinner.  This year I was in charge of bringing the salad and the vegetable platter.


I made two dishes based on recipes from Marilu Henner's book:

Wear Your Life Well.


Bruschetta Salad

-8 organic plum tomatoes, chopped and seeded

-8 basil leaves, chopped

-2 garlic cloves, minced

-3 teaspoons olive oil

-juice of 1 lemon

-lemon pepper to taste


Mix all of the above ingredients in separate bowl.  

When ready to serve, toss the bruschetta mixture with organic mixed greens.  

Top with shredded Alta Dena raw cheddar-style goat cheese.


Sweet Pea Guacamole

-1 pound bag organic frozen peas

-3 organic avocados

-juice of 1 lemon

-lemon pepper, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper all to taste


Steam peas and set aside.  

Cut avocado into chunks. 

Once cooled, place the cooked peas into a food processor and blend until smooth.  

Be sure to reserve some whole peas for later.  

Add the avocado and process until smooth.  

Add lemon, spices and whole peas to mixture. 

Can be chilled for up to 2 hours before serving.  

We ate this with raw vegetables, but tortilla chips would be great, too.



For my main course (in addition to the mashed potatoes and creamy beans), I had a raw vegan spinach quiche from Good Mood Food.


And for dessert I brought a gluten-free apple pie from Fabe's Bakery with my favorite vanilla Tempt hemp ice cream.




Everything was so delicious!  A big thanks to Charli and Steve who, once again, hosted a heart-warming, belly-filling evening of laughter, good times and top-notch Thanksgiving culinary chops.  Their mouthwatering and exquisite Thanksgiving dinner would make the strongest amongst us happily cheat on a detox.


I think he would agree. 

;)


*I did not forget about The "I'm friggin' starving and all I want is pasta" Pasta recipe.

I'll be sure to post that tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment