Wednesday, July 1, 2009

a new dawn

"Isn't this beautiful?" 
 "Yes.  Yes it is." 
 "How is it that we don't do this everyday?!" 
"Well..."
"No, I mean seriously.  How are we not up here everyday, 7 in the morning, hiking, enjoying the fresh summer air?!"
"You don't wake up that early."
"I could!"
"But you don't."
"I will!  I'm going to wake up everyday this month at 7am and be productive!"
"That sounds awful."

Ah, the 7am plan.  Long have I held the dream of the 7am plan.  It is a plan of hope.   A plan of promise.  A plan that I have been completely unable to execute.
In my mind, it goes a little something like this....

I awake at 7.  I greet the morning with a single, delicate shot of espresso and quickly change into my workout gear. With gusto I begin my morning yoga routine.   The new sun warms my home and my heart.  Birds chirp.  Butterflies play.  And as I pick fresh vegetables from my organic garden for my morning juice, peace and love rain upon the land.
All because I got my butt up at 7.
Instead of 8.

Perhaps...perhaps...I am over reaching but, having never actually tried the plan,  I don't know for sure that that wouldn't happen.  At the very least, I think I would beat the crowd to Trader Joe's.

I think, for me, waking up early has always symbolized potential.  Extra hours that are untouched, unaccounted for.  Extra hours to fulfill dreams.

So, today I begin.  Err...tomorrow I begin (it's already 9:45).  I begin the process of exploration. 

Can changing one tiny habit affect change in larger areas of life?
Will waking up early set off a chain reaction that will turn my life into the haven of productivity and peace that I have always envisioned?
Or will I simply become grumpy and annoy my loved ones?

Until 7am, my friends.  Until 7...


No comments:

Post a Comment