Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 10

The Cost of Living
I've been thinking a lot about the cost of healthy eating.
Mostly due to the cries of protest from my friends and family whom I've bullied into eating this way.

"Those beets you told me to get were $2.99!  I put them right back!"

So in an effort to be helpful, (and to get people to stop yelling at me...Mom, Traci) I am going to feature some wallet and belly friendly meals.

First up:

Tomato and Basil Frit-Omelette
with Salad
(recipe serves two)
8 organic free range eggs 
4 organic roma tomatoes chopped
8 basil leaves chopped
1 head of organic romaine lettuce
1 tablespoon grapseed oil
garlic and lemon pepper (and sea salt, Erin) to taste


This started off as an omelette.
I wanted a frittata.
I don't have a skillet and/or pan that handily goes from range to oven.
(sigh)
I whisked the eggs in a bowl.
Meanwhile, I coated my non-oventransferable, can't make a frittata skillet with the grapeseed oil and spices.
I poured the eggs into the skillet and waited for them to magically turn into a frittata.
That didn't happen.
So I topped the eggs with the tomatoes and basil.
I waited.  
Still no frittata.
My eggs were starting to burn.
I folded the eggs in half.

And then it came to me.

When the eggs had set, I transferred them from my frittata-less pan to a baking sheet.
I baked the eggs for ten minutes at 450 degrees.

And so the Frit-Omelette was borne!
(The eggs did not taste as burned as they look in this picture...)
I served it with chopped romaine tossed with dijon vinegarette and sliced avocado.
mmmm....Frit-Omelette...







No comments:

Post a Comment