Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 21

In the interest of full disclosure, I would like to state that the following smoothie is strange.

Even for me.

My impartial taste-tester made a scrunchy face and then declared it:

 "kind of chunky."

However, if you are looking for extra credit points on your road to wellness then this smoothie may be for you.


Strange Chunky Smoothie

1-2 Fuji apples

2 cups spinach

juice of 1 lemon

1 cup purified water

blend everything in a blender on high



I got the idea because I wanted Natalia Rose's Green Lemonade but didn't have the spare week and a half it takes to clean the juicer.

So I said to myself, "Self, wouldn't putting all of the same ingredients in a blender taste pretty much the same?"


The answer to that is: 

No. 

No, it would not.

It was chunky.

Not necessarily bad...

Just chunky.


But that might have been my fault.  

I added 1 tablespoon of chia seeds at the end.  Chia seeds have a tendency to thicken things.  In many recipes that effect is quite delightful.  

In this case it turned my smoothie into applesauce.


But chunky or not, this un-smoothie made for a healthy, inexpensive breakfast which, due to its high fiber content, kept me full for hours.

Just needed a spoon to finish it.


No comments:

Post a Comment